The Student Driver Program Manager is responsible for working with incoming drivers to train and develop them toward gaining their Commercial Driver's License (CDL). This position requires collaborative relationships with Recruiting, Orientation, and Operations teams to ensure that incoming drivers are properly trained and developed to be ready to drive with a teammate in Hirschbach's operations. This position is a mixture of office responsibilities, management of others in the department, and outdoor training of drivers.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Instructs drivers on how to drive and operate a commercial motor vehicle, including pre-trip inspections, coupling and uncoupling, and backing.
- Teaches hours of service regulations and reefer operations.
- Provides oversight of driving simulators for incoming drivers.
- Teaches and promotes the safety culture and safety requirements for being a driver at Hirschbach.
- Understands and teaches basic operational issues relating to over the road trucking.
- Works with drivers on the use of the Peoplenet device, including e-logs.
- Coordinates and reports to personnel in Recruiting, Driver Orientation, Safety, Maintenance, Operations and Driver Recruiting on driver and truck issues.
- Tracks and reports drivers' progress through the Student Driver Program.
- Assesses drivers for their readiness to take their CDL exam and driving course.
- Manages others in the department.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Bachelor's Degree is required. In lieu of education, comparable work experience will be considered.
- Current Class A CDL with air brake endorsements.
- Understanding of the basic elements of truck operation.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and through written/electronic communication and effective English.
- Skilled with Microsoft Excel, familiarity with Access and PowerPoint is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and solve problems creatively.
- Understanding and knowledge of Hours of Service regulations.
Starting pay for the Student Driver Program Manager is up to $50,000/year based on experience.
Hirschbach is a privately owned carrier that has delivered state-of-the-art transportation solutions for over 80 years. Our fleet is among the newest, most environmentally friendly and fuel efficient in the trucking industry.
Hirschbach has nearly 1,200 full-time employees and professional drivers who continually strive to meet and exceed the transportation needs and customer service expectations of our clients.
With 11 different company locations offering refrigerated transportation services from coast to coast, custom dedicated fleets and non-traditional trucking solutions, Hirschbach offers a wide variety of exciting opportunities to further your career track.