The Claims Manager is responsible for overseeing the Claims Department to ensure departmental goals are being met. The position is responsible for controlling losses incurred after a cargo, accident, or injury event, which would otherwise place the organization at risk financially with a customer or a claimant.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensures equipment and cargo are secure and medical attention is being administered as appropriate.
- Communicates with auto/liability, physical damage, worker's compensation, occupational accident and cargo insurance carriers for qualified losses.
- Collaborates with the OS&D department to prevent small delivery exceptions from turning to formal claims.
- Communicates accident information with the Safety department to determine if post-accident drug & alcohol testing is necessary.
- Manages employees in Claims department in regards to performance appraisals, auditing, and assigning duties and responsibilities.
- Tracks accidents by cause code, preventable nature, and reports weekly on a per-million-mile basis.
- Handles all serious accidents that occur, including: fatalities, rollovers, head-on collisions, etc.
- Manages worker's compensation claims.
- Conducts monthly one-on-one meetings with each team member/team meetings.
- Creates, maintains, and provides reports and data to the appropriate people and works closely with Hirschbach's In-House General Counsel, upper management, and executives.
- Creates and maintains claim files for cargo, physical damage, and auto/liability.
- Bachelor's Degree in a relevant field or 3 years of equivalent Management experience.
- Ability to stay calm in high stress situations.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, Word, and Excel.
- Ability to create, manage, and analyze spreadsheets.
- Availability to be on-call during nights and weekends for emergencies.
- Strong oral/written communication skills via telephone and email and in person.
- Experience in claims handling or other risk management areas.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Ability to manage and provide direction to others.
Compensation for the Claims Manager is up to $47,000/year based on experience.
Hirschbach is a privately owned carrier that has delivered state-of-the-art transportation solutions for over 80 years. Our fleet is among the newest, most environmentally friendly and fuel efficient in the trucking industry.
Hirschbach has nearly 1,200 full-time employees and professional drivers who continually strive to meet and exceed the transportation needs and customer service expectations of our clients.
With 11 different company locations offering refrigerated transportation services from coast to coast, custom dedicated fleets and non-traditional trucking solutions, Hirschbach offers a wide variety of exciting opportunities to further your career track.